Adopt a Little Library
Little Libraries are free neighbourhood book exchanges where anyone can take a book or drop off a book to share with others. No rules, no late fees – everyone can take part!
Anyone can build a bookshelf, but Little Libraries aren’t just about books. They’re about connecting with your neighbours and community; they are mini “town squares” where people can meet over a good book and get to know each other. The design of each Library reflects the unique personality of the people who use and care for it.
By building and stewarding a Little Library, you are helping to make the City of Port Coquitlam a more connected, caring community.
Sign up on your own, with friends or family, or with a group!
How to Sign Up
All volunteers—including individuals, families, groups, businesses, schools and clubs—must successfully complete the following application process:
- Complete an online application form.
- Complete a Criminal Record Search (individual or designated contact person for each group)*.
- Complete a Statement of Commitment and Release and Waiver Form*.
- Submit a signed Parental Consent Form if under the age of 19.
- Optional: Register with the Little Free Library Program at www.littlefreelibrary.org.
*These forms will be provided at your intake interview following your application.
Volunteers should have a love of reading and must be:
- Physically able to perform the required Volunteer Duties,
- Reliable and safety conscious,
- Able to work independently and in groups, and
- Accompanied by an adult if under age 19.
- Agree to steward the Library for at least one year.
- Meet with staff to get approval to install your Library and become a City of Port Coquitlam volunteer.
- Install the Library on site.
- Optional: Register your Library to become a part of the official Little Free Library Program.
- Visit your library once a week.
- Maintain the library collection: update books, add or change the collection, remove damaged books.
- Keep it tidy and perform minor repairs to keep the library and site safe for the community.
- Send in a quarterly report to the City of Port Coquitlam to let us know how your library is doing!
City Support and Training
The City will:
- Assist volunteers with choosing an appropriate place to install your library.
- Provide opportunities to build and decorate a Little Library.
- Provide opportunities to meet with other library stewards to exchange books and tips for connecting with local readers.
Here are some of the reasons to sign up as an Little Library steward:
- Promote literacy and the love of reading in your community.
- Share your love of books with others.
- Assist children in getting “unplugged.”
- Connect with your neighbours and community.
- Create a neighbourhood gathering place to share favourite reads.
- Gain volunteer hours on a schedule and in a location that suits you.
Little Library volunteers will be recognized as part of the National Volunteer Week celebrations that take place each April. All City-approved Little Libraries will be featured on the City’s Adopt-a-SPOT & Little Library Map.