Grade 5s Get Active & Grade 6s Stay Active!
In partnership to promote youth involvement in physical activity, Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, and Port Moody are offering a Grade 5 Get Active! Card or Grade 6 Stay Active! Card to students in School District #43, giving the Grade 5 students free admission to the drop-in swimming, skating and gymnasium-based activities and the Grade 6 students 12 free facility visits in the three cities.
The objective of the two programs is to encourage youth participation in physical activity. Research has shown that developing healthy lifestyles at this age – when children start to choose their own activities and are interested in an increasing number of social recreation programs – builds a pattern of physical activity and healthy living that they continue as adults. By offering free admission to drop-in activities, it is hoped this added incentive will attract more young people to recreational activities to support this trend towards active living.
The program is available to students registered in the Grade 5 or Grade 6 curriculum, ages 9, 10, 11 or 12 years old, who are residents of Port Coquitlam. The cities work closely with School District #43, independent and private schools, and home school parents to ensure that all students of this age and grade have access to the Program.
To receive the Grade 5 Get Active! or Grade 6 Stay Active! Cards, students must visit a local community recreation facility in which they reside any time between September 3, 2019 to September 2, 2020.
To receive and activate the Grade 5 Get Active! or Grade 6 Stay Active! Cards, students must bring the following documentation with them to the registration desk to receive and activate their membership card:
- A letter of verification from School District #43(or documentation from school for independent, private or home school students) identifying them as either a Grade 5 or 6 students.
- Birth certificate or Care Card showing the student is of the applicable age to enter either Grade 5 or Grade 6 as December 31st, 2019.
- Proof of residency – Students must have a Port Coquitlam address ( e.g utility or tax bill; driver’s licences not accepted).
It is the student’s responsibility to keep the card safe. If the card is lost or damaged, replacement cards are available at a nominal fee of $5. Grade 6 cards can not be replaced if lost.
Participating Recreation Facilities
- Hyde Creek Recreation Complex
1379 Laurier Avenue604.927.7946
- Port Coquitlam Recreation Complex
2150 Wilson Avenue 604.927.7970
- Poirier Sport & Leisure comples (Pool & Arena)
633 Poirier Street 604.927.6027
- Pinetree Community Centre,
1260 Pinetree Way 604.927.6960
- City Centre Aquatics Complex,
1210 Pinetree Way 604.927.6999
- Centennial Community Centre,
570 Poirier Street 604.933.6143
- Port Moody Social Recreation Centre,
300 Ioco Road 604.469.4556