This coming Canada Day July 1st, 2019, join Canadians from coast-to-coast to celebrate and honour our great country with entertainment headlined by The Darby Mills Project, Canada’s iconic female rock band as well the sounds of electro and house music by DESTINEAK.
There will be a shuttle service provided from West Coast Express to Castle Park!
The Darby Mills Project
Darby Mills has had a forty year journey of extraordinary proportions becoming one of Canada’s iconic female rock vocalists. Hit songs include ‘Just One More Time’ and ‘Feel My Body’. The Headpins debut album Turn It Loud in 1982 went double platinum selling over 500,000 records and topped the charts for six weeks, with the hit singles ‘Don’t It Make Ya Feel (Dancin)’, ‘People’ and ‘Turn It Loud’. They were nominated for most promising new act at the JUNO’s and in 1983 the band won the Shure Music Express Awards for top new group and Darby Mills as the top female vocalist. The band toured with the likes of ZZ TOP, Whitesnake, KISS, Vince Neill, Loverboy, Bryan Adams, Quiet Riot and many others.
A high energy act with incredible live music and visual stimulation that rocks any crowd. The sounds are electro and progressive house mashed with 80’s and 90’s rock, pop and R&B classics. Virtuosic vocals are performed by the enigmatic and exotic Christina Sing, a true diva and world renowned singer and writer. Bobby James maneuvers his way around a hybrid acoustic/electronic drum kit, percussion, and DJ rig. A veteran drummer who has toured with the likes of Kid Rock, Metallica and Scorpions, he is a master of his instrument. Using the latest technology and production, DESTINEAK blends their original music with the anthems of yesterday and with chart topping tracks of today, scored lighting, scripted visuals, hybrid instruments, dancers and Canada Day themes to take the party to the next level.
Schedule of Events
- 8-11:00 am: Pancake breakfast served by the local Lions Club – ($5/adult, $3/child under 10) and a free fishing derby with prizes for children age 10 and under (register on-site).
- 12:00 pm: Opening ceremonies, national anthem, flag raising and cake
- 12:30-5:00 pm: Community showcase – Featuring local performers and choral groups.
- 12:00-5:00 pm: a variety of free children’s activities including face painting, a creation station, a kids’ activity zone, bungee runs, bouncy castle and more.
- 12:00-5:00 pm: Community marketplace – explore a variety of community and cultural displays.
- Noon to dusk: an impressive lineup of food vendors: tacos, Asian fusion, pizza and more.
- 12:00 pm – 6 pm: – Salmon Barbecue – Port Coquitlam Firefighters continue the annual tradition of serving up a complete salmon dinner for $12. The popular barbecue is usually a sell-out. All proceeds go to the BC Professional Fire Fighters Burn Fund. Hamburgers and hotdogs will also be available.
- 12:00-10pm – NEW this year a beer garden hosted by Taylight Brewing!
- 5:00-10 pm: Bring a blanket to enjoy the music acts leading up to the fireworks featuring: Hickelstock, Western Jaguar, Disco Funeral, Destineak, and The Darby Mills Project.
- Dusk: Grande finale pyro musical featuring the music of all female Canadian artists.
The following traffic/safety control measures will be put into place from 8am – midnight:
- Mary Hill pedestrian overpass and Castle Park trails will be closed 8am – midnight.
- Citadel Dr from Confederation Dr to Castle Cres – No stopping on either side 6pm – midnight.
- Citadel Dr from Confederation Dr to Pitt River Rd – No parking permitted on either side of the street 6pm – midnight.
- Temporary street closures from 6pm – midnight on Citadel Dr from Pitt River Rd to Confederation Dr, on Colonial Dr from Citadel Dr to Moody Crt, and on Castle Cres and Nova Scotia Ave at Citadel Dr (local residents will be permitted access with proper identification verified by the RCMP).
Vehicles must be moved from the above locations by 6pm to avoid being towed.
A free shuttle bus service is being offered from 11:30am – 11:30pm between Castle Park and the West Coast Express parking lot on Kingsway Ave.
Additional parking is available at schools in the area. Thank you for your cooperation.
Wear Your National Pride! We look forward to celebrating with you.