With the closing of facilities, the City is providing targeted support and resources to older adults, who are at higher risk to catch the coronavirus (COVID-19).
We’re Here to Serve You
The city has implemented the following measures:
- Proactively calling and emailing members of Wilson Seniors to check in, responding to inquiries and providing regular updates. To be added to the phone or email distribution list, subscribe, email email@example.com or phone 604-927-7974.
- Encouraging local businesses to increase delivery services and/or provide dedicated shopping hours for seniors.
- Offering online programming, such as virtual exercise classes and virtual socializing. Scroll down below for videos.
- Providing information about COVID-19, about services available to older adults, with links to local, provincial and federal health authorities.
- Waived the penalty and extended the deadline for utility bill payment to May 31. If you have any questions or need more information, please call 604-927-5425, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Utilities webpage.
What's Up Wilson
Stay up to date with our e-Newsletter!
To our Wilson Seniors
How Seniors Can Support Themselves
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your physical and mental well-being. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, and avoid alcohol and drugs.
- Make time to unwind. Try to do some other activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling, and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Dance Inspired Fitness Class with Raquel
Join the party with this beginner level dance fitness class.
Class Length: 32 min 48 sec
A gentle exercise class to improve cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, core strength and balance. Equipment: Chair (optional), Hand weights or equivalent (water bottles, cans of soup etc. also work!)
Class Length: 36 minutes
Total Fitness Wilson Seniors
A light to moderate fitness class with a mix of cardio and strengthening exercises followed by a relaxing stretch. Created for our Wilson Seniors and anyone looking for a gentle movement class.
Class Length: 30 minutes
Help stop the spread of COVID-19
The City is helping stop the spread of COVID-19 and supporting the community at this challenging time. Other measures include:
- Closing all civic facilities, playgrounds, sports courts and sports fields to the public:
- Postponing or cancelling a number of upcoming events;
- Following provincial orders to close restaurants, pubs and personal services to ensure the safety of residents; and
The city has also activated the Emergency Operations Centre and business continuity plan to ensure a coordinated response and the continued delivery of core services such as water, sewer, police and fire, along with online services. Remote access tools have been provided to allow key staff to work from home.
About Wilson Seniors
Our age-50+ events and activities target a variety of interests and skill levels. Whether you come with a friend or want to make new ones, Wilson Seniors recreation is a great place to connect. Try a fitness or yoga class, join our band, attend an info session or celebrate at our regular socials and lunches. Enjoy a delicious meal or fresh baked treats from our kitchen. We meet at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre. We look forward to meeting you!
Become a Wilson Seniors Member!
Benefits of Membership
Those 50 years and better can join Wilson Seniors for an annual fee of $18.75, valid for 12 months.
Membership benefits include:
- Discounted pricing on pre-registered programs
- Reduced drop-in program fees and members-only classes
- Access to special events, including birthday celebrations and seasonal gatherings
- Exclusive participation in blood pressure and podiatry services
- A chance to build friendships and connection through our lunch program
- Admission to our annual Christmas lunch
No Show for Free Events
If you are unable to attend, please contact us at 604.927.7529 so your spot can be filled by another member.
Kitchen Volunteers Wanted
Wilson Centre is looking for kitchen volunteers! If you can spare 2 to 3 hours a week, we can keep our kitchen prices down. If everyone does a little, no one does a lot and everyone benefits!
- counter (coffee service and money)
- help prepare meals/sandwich makers
- serving meals
- clean up.
- Day of Week (Monday – Friday)
- Time of Day (am or pm)
- Activity (Bake, Chop, Make Sandwiches, Counter Service)
For more information or to arrange an interview, please email email@example.com.
Wilson Lounge and kitchen
Table seating, a cafeteria serving lunch, snacks and coffee. Reserved during the day on weekdays for seniors’ use. Lunch is served from 11:30am-1pm.
Lounge furniture and tables, snooker tables, board games and flexible activity space. Reserved during the weekdays for seniors’ use.
Pedestrians can enter on Wilson Avenue on the north side of the building, and on Mary Hill Road on the west side of the building. There is no access from Kingsway Avenue.
For Construction Details & Updates
2150 Wilson Avenue
Port Coquitlam, BC V3C 6J5
Programs/registration: 604.927.PLAY (7529)