With the closing of facilities, the City is providing targeted support and resources to older adults, who are at higher risk to catch the coronavirus (COVID-19).
We’re Here to Serve You
The city has implemented the following measures:
- Proactively calling and emailing members of Wilson Seniors to check in, responding to inquiries and providing regular updates. To be added to the phone or email distribution list, subscribe, email email@example.com or phone 604-927-7974.
- Encouraging local businesses to increase delivery services and/or provide dedicated shopping hours for seniors.
- Providing information about COVID-19, about services available to older adults, with links to local, provincial and federal health authorities.
What’s Up Wilson Newsletter
Get the latest edition of What’s Up Wilson to stay well informed during our COVID-19 facility closure. You’ll receive the latest news on COVID-19, links to the most current recreation offerings to help you stay active, information for Wilson Senior membership and much more! Also subscribe to the e-newsletter above to receive monthly emails delivered to your inbox.
What's Up Wilson
Stay up to date with our e-Newsletter!
How Seniors Can Support Themselves
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your physical and mental well-being. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, and avoid alcohol and drugs.
- Make time to unwind. Try to do some other activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling, and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Wilson Seniors Recreation
Looking for activities to do while our facilities are shut down? We have a number of avenues for you to explore while still complying with COVID-19 Health Regulations.
About Wilson Seniors
Our age-50+ events and activities target a variety of interests and skill levels. Whether you come with a friend or want to make new ones, Wilson Seniors recreation is a great place to connect. Try a fitness or yoga class, join our band, attend an info session or celebrate at our regular socials and lunches. Enjoy a delicious meal or fresh baked treats from our kitchen. We meet at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre. We look forward to meeting you!
Become a Wilson Seniors Member!
Benefits of Membership
Those 50 years and better can join Wilson Seniors for an annual fee of $18.75, valid for 12 months.
Membership benefits include:
- Discounted pricing on pre-registered programs
- Reduced drop-in program fees and members-only classes
- Access to special events, including birthday celebrations and seasonal gatherings
- Exclusive participation in blood pressure and podiatry services
- A chance to build friendships and connection through our lunch program
- Admission to our annual Christmas lunch
No Show for Free Events
If you are unable to attend, please contact us at 604.927.7529 so your spot can be filled by another member.
Wilson Seniors Advisory Board
Wilson Seniors Advisory Board is a dedicated group of volunteers working with Wilson Seniors members and City staff to develop programs and events that promote and enhance the well-being of “Seniors” in the community of Port Coquitlam. In addition to being advocates for programming and reducing social isolation for seniors, the Board raises funds that go back to the seniors’ community through Farmers Market Coupons, Christmas hampers and other community initiatives and social events. During the pandemic, members of the Advisory Board have reached out to seniors in the community through the phone buddies program to provide assistance and support to those in need. Please visit the Wilson Seniors Advisory Board website here: portcoquitlamseniors.com and follow on Facebook for more information.
New Volunteers are always welcome. If you would like to be involved with the Advisory Board, please put your name forward for election at our AGM in October.
Wilson Lounge and kitchen
Table seating, a cafeteria serving lunch, snacks and coffee. Reserved during the day on weekdays for seniors’ use. Lunch is served from 11:30am-1pm.
Kitchen Volunteers Wanted
Wilson Centre is looking for kitchen volunteers! If you can spare 2 to 3 hours a week, we can keep our kitchen prices down. If everyone does a little, no one does a lot and everyone benefits!
- counter (coffee service and money)
- help prepare meals/sandwich makers
- serving meals
- clean up.
- Day of Week (Monday – Friday)
- Time of Day (am or pm)
- Activity (Bake, Chop, Make Sandwiches, Counter Service)
For more information or to arrange an interview, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lounge furniture and tables, snooker tables, board games and flexible activity space. Reserved during the weekdays for seniors’ use.
Wilson Seniors Services
We offer these services and more. Check out the link for What’s Up Wilson for more information.
Have your blood pressure checked on Wednesday from 10-11 am. Available to members only.
The fourth Thursday of each month a qualified podiatrist will be in attendance to give your feet the care and attention they may need. Appointments are necessary. Please call 604.927.7970 to book your time. Applicable fees apply. Available to members only.
Wilson Seniors offers Revenue Canada tax filing support to our members who fall into the low income tax bracket. At this time, this program has been cancelled until further notice.
Pedestrians can enter on Wilson Avenue on the north side of the building, and on Mary Hill Road on the west side of the building. There is no access from Kingsway Avenue.
For Construction Details & Updates
2150 Wilson Avenue
Port Coquitlam, BC V3C 6J5
Programs/registration: 604.927.PLAY (7529)