With the closing of facilities, the City is providing targeted support and resources to older adults, who are at higher risk to catch the coronavirus (COVID-19).
We’re Here to Serve You
The city has implemented the following measures:
- Proactively calling and emailing members of Wilson Seniors to check in, responding to inquiries and providing regular updates. To be added to the phone or email distribution list, subscribe, email email@example.com or phone 604-927-7974.
- Encouraging local businesses to increase delivery services and/or provide dedicated shopping hours for seniors.
- Offering online exercise classes and activities as well as various community outreach initiatives. Scroll down below for videos.
- Providing information about COVID-19, about services available to older adults, with links to local, provincial and federal health authorities.
- Waived the penalty and extended the deadline for utility bill payment to May 31. If you have any questions or need more information, please call 604-927-5425, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Utilities webpage.
What’s Up Wilson Newsletter
Get the latest edition of What’s Up Wilson to stay well informed during our COVID-19 facility closure. You’ll receive the latest news on COVID-19, links to new online videos for fitness classes and activities, information for Wilson Senior membership and much more! Also subscribe to the e-newsletter above to receive weekly emails delivered to your inbox. Select a date below to view past What’s Up Wilson editions:
What's Up Wilson
Stay up to date with our e-Newsletter!
To our Wilson Seniors
How Seniors Can Support Themselves
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your physical and mental well-being. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, and avoid alcohol and drugs.
- Make time to unwind. Try to do some other activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling, and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Wilson Seniors Connection Videos
Looking for activities to do at home? Wondering what our Wilson Seniors staff are up to during the COVID-19 facility closure? Join Chris and Carmel each week for some great ideas and a few laughs.
Tech Tips Video
Chris and Carmel walk you through a few online activities you can do while spending time at home. Learn about the Fraser Valley Regional Library website and more!
Happy Hearts Video
WS Happy Hearts
Learn about what our Rec team is doing to provide a a little entertainment and a few laughs for some seniors in the neighbourhood!
Indoor Gardening Video
Indoor Gardening Tips
Looking for indoor activities to keep you busy? Learn how you can use tomatoes, potatoes and onions to make seeds for your garden by starting indoors!
Wilson Seniors Virtual Fitness Classes
These videos are targeting the 50+ crowd! Our Wilson Seniors normally enjoy these classes at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre (PCCC) but due to our COVID-19 facility closure, we hope these videos will keep you active and moving at home!
Before participating, we encourage you to take the online physical activity readiness questionnaire: ParQ+ fitness assessment. Please complete this form at least once a year to ensure that you are prepared for physical activity. We encourage you to modify any of these online classes to meet your fitness level, drink lots of water, have fun and stay safe!
We would like to thank our instructors who have stepped out of their comfort zones and volunteered their time to create these on-line classes for our participants and the community.
New workouts added weekly. Enjoy!
5 Minute Movement Break Options
5 Minute Movement Break #2
Get moving, even if you only have 5 minutes! Join Raquel for a 5 minute movement break to help strengthen the lower body and improve the cardiovascular system.
Class Length: 5 min
5 Minute Movement Break #1
Get moving, even if you only have 5 minutes! Small exercise sessions throughout the day can really help improve the way you feel both physically and mentally. If you find yourself sitting for long periods of time, why not try a 5 minute movement break to loosen up your body, refresh your mind and help keep your energy up.
Class Length: 5 min
Instructor info: Raquel teaches a variety of classes at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre which include Zumba, Chair Fitness and Total Conditioning.
Chair Fitness Options
Chair Fitness – Level 1
This is an entry level chair fitness class that focuses on range of motion exercises to get you moving.
Class Length: 30 min
Instructor info: Raquel teaches a variety of classes for the Wilson Seniors at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre which also includes Zumba on Monday nights and Saturday mornings.
Chair Fitness – Level 2 #1
A gentle exercise class to improve cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, core strength and balance. Equipment: Chair (optional), Hand weights or equivalent (water bottles, cans of soup etc. also work!)
Video Length: 36 minutes
Instructor info: Leslie teaches a variety of classes at HC and PCCC, Spin, 50+ classes and Body Sculpt to name a few. She teaches Chair Fitness Wednesdays at PCCC.
Chair Fitness – Level 2 – #2
Join Leslie for a gentle exercise class to improve cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, core strength and balance while using a chair to help with stability. Optional Equipment: Chair, hand weights or equivalent (water bottles, cans of soup etc. also work!)
Video Length: 28 min 14 sec
Total Fitness Class Options
Total Fitness #2
Join Leslie in her back yard for this light to moderate fitness class with a mix of cardio and strengthening exercises followed by a relaxing stretch. Great for anyone looking for a gentle movement class. Equipment: Hand weights or equivalent
Video Length: 32 minutes
Total Fitness #1
A light to moderate fitness class with a mix of cardio and strengthening exercises followed by a relaxing stretch. Created for our Wilson Seniors and anyone looking for a gentle movement class. Equipment: Hand weights or equivalent
Video Length: 36 minutes
Instructor info: Leslie teaches a variety of classes at HC and PCCC, Spin, 50+ classes and Body Sculpt to name a few. She teaches Total Fitness Wednesday mornings at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre.
Join Raquel for a workout focusing on 3 core areas: mobility, stability, and strength to improve your overall fitness and balance. A gentle workout designed for older adults.
Video Length: 30 min 17 sec
Instructor info: Raquel teaches a variety of classes at PCCC for the Wilson Seniors which includes Core Conditioning on Friday mornings.
Latin-Inspired Dance Fitness Options
Latin-Inspired Dance Fitness #2
Join the party with this easy to follow dance fitness class with Raquel.
Video Length: 34 min
Latin-Inspired Dance Fitness #1
Join the party with this easy to follow dance fitness class.
Video Length: 32 min 48 sec
Instructor info: Raquel teaches a variety of classes at PCCC for the Wilson Seniors which include Zumba (this class) Monday nights and Saturday mornings.
Stretch and Yoga
Join Raquel for a full body stretch. Geared towards older adults or anyone looking for a gentle stretch.
Video Length: 10 min 34 sec
Instructor info: Raquel teaches a variety of classes at PCCC for the Wilson Seniors including Zumba and Core Conditioning.
Yoga Stretch & Relax with Jen. Take a mindfulness break and finish feeling refreshed.
Video Length: 13 min
Instructor info: Jen teaches yoga on Saturdays and a variety of Spin classes at HC.
Help stop the spread of COVID-19
The City is helping stop the spread of COVID-19 and supporting the community at this challenging time. Other measures include:
- Closing all civic facilities, playgrounds, sports courts and sports fields to the public:
- Postponing or cancelling a number of upcoming events;
- Following provincial orders to close restaurants, pubs and personal services to ensure the safety of residents; and
The city has also activated the Emergency Operations Centre and business continuity plan to ensure a coordinated response and the continued delivery of core services such as water, sewer, police and fire, along with online services. Remote access tools have been provided to allow key staff to work from home.
About Wilson Seniors
Our age-50+ events and activities target a variety of interests and skill levels. Whether you come with a friend or want to make new ones, Wilson Seniors recreation is a great place to connect. Try a fitness or yoga class, join our band, attend an info session or celebrate at our regular socials and lunches. Enjoy a delicious meal or fresh baked treats from our kitchen. We meet at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre. We look forward to meeting you!
Become a Wilson Seniors Member!
Benefits of Membership
Those 50 years and better can join Wilson Seniors for an annual fee of $18.75, valid for 12 months.
Membership benefits include:
- Discounted pricing on pre-registered programs
- Reduced drop-in program fees and members-only classes
- Access to special events, including birthday celebrations and seasonal gatherings
- Exclusive participation in blood pressure and podiatry services
- A chance to build friendships and connection through our lunch program
- Admission to our annual Christmas lunch
No Show for Free Events
If you are unable to attend, please contact us at 604.927.7529 so your spot can be filled by another member.
Kitchen Volunteers Wanted
Wilson Centre is looking for kitchen volunteers! If you can spare 2 to 3 hours a week, we can keep our kitchen prices down. If everyone does a little, no one does a lot and everyone benefits!
- counter (coffee service and money)
- help prepare meals/sandwich makers
- serving meals
- clean up.
- Day of Week (Monday – Friday)
- Time of Day (am or pm)
- Activity (Bake, Chop, Make Sandwiches, Counter Service)
For more information or to arrange an interview, please email email@example.com.
Wilson Lounge and kitchen
Table seating, a cafeteria serving lunch, snacks and coffee. Reserved during the day on weekdays for seniors’ use. Lunch is served from 11:30am-1pm.
Lounge furniture and tables, snooker tables, board games and flexible activity space. Reserved during the weekdays for seniors’ use.
Pedestrians can enter on Wilson Avenue on the north side of the building, and on Mary Hill Road on the west side of the building. There is no access from Kingsway Avenue.
For Construction Details & Updates
2150 Wilson Avenue
Port Coquitlam, BC V3C 6J5
Programs/registration: 604.927.PLAY (7529)