Pianos on the Street
The City of Port Coquitlam in partnership with Pacey’s and the Piano Teachers Federation invites local artists and community groups to create paintings on working pianos as part of the Pianos on the Street project. The program aims to inspire new and different uses for public spaces and promote music by making it accessible to all members of society. The pianos will be displayed at outdoor locations in Port Coquitlam throughout July and August. As part of the application process, artists are required to develop and submit a concept proposal for the project.
Deadline for Submissions: May 10, 2018
Painting of the Piano: June 11- 30, 2018
Installation: July 13, 2018
The City of Port Coquitlam is committed to equity and integrity through inclusive and innovative projects. The City of Port Coquitlam invites proposals from all potentially interested artists and groups. We thank all artists and groups for their time and interest in this call.
Pianos on the Street celebrates visual art and music. The program features the work of local artists and community groups, and provides opportunities for the community to play and enjoy music in public spaces. Spearheaded by Pacey’s Pianos and the Piano Teachers Federation in partnership with the City of Port Coquitlam, the program aims to inspire new and different uses for public spaces and promote music by making it accessible to all members of society. The City of Port Coquitlam will supply acrylic paints and other painting materials required for the artists to complete the project.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSIONS:
- Designs must not contain advertisements or promotion of products, companies or organizations.
- The artist or group must guarantee that the design submitted in the application is original and does not violate copyright.
- Please be advised that the final design for each piano will contain acknowledgment of Pacey’s Pianos.
GUIDELINES FOR CONCEPT PROPOSALS:
Artists and groups interested in participating in this project are required to submit a unique and vibrant design concept proposal.
- There are no specific thematic design requirements
- The deadline for submissions is May 10. Artists and groups must be available between June 11- June 30 to paint the piano. Pianos will be launched on July 13.
- Submissions will be reviewed by a panel consisting of members of Port Coquitlam’s arts community and City Arts & Culture staff. They will be evaluated on artistic merit (originality of image, composition and colour), as well as concept.
- Incomplete or late submissions will not be considered.
Arts & Culture Program Assistant