The Leisure Buddy Program offers 1:1 volunteer support for children/ youth in registered activities. Our Leisure Buddies support participants in activities to reduce barriers with the goal of an inclusive recreation environment. Recreation Staff collaborate with families to provide strategies and adaptations for Volunteers to build a positive experience for children and youth in our activities.
The support of a Leisure Buddy is dependent on program capacity and volunteer availability. Our Leisure Buddies are volunteers who are able to assist with focusing, redirection, positive reinforcement and encouraging engagement. They are not trained Behavioural Interventionists or Community Support Workers.
Leisure Buddy Guidelines
- Access Services will be in contact with you to learn more about your child’s needs and to explain the next steps in the process.
- Confirmation of date, time and program.
Step 4: Access Services reaches out to Leisure Buddy Volunteers. Access and Inclusion Services will be in contact to confirm next steps.
Please Note: Access and Inclusion Services requires a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice prior to start of your registration program to find an appropriate Leisure Buddy. If a Leisure Buddy is not available, Access and Inclusion Services will be in contact to discuss further options. This may include withdrawal from the program.
Our ability to provide a Leisure Buddy depends upon the support needed, available resources, skill levels and availability of volunteers.
Resource for Support
- Leisure Buddy Volunteer: Most of our volunteers are high school, college and university students who volunteer to provide additional support to camps/ programs for children/youth. Leisure Buddy volunteer assist with:
- Assisting participant with focusing on a task (redirection)
- Encouraging participant to engage in activities
- Providing additional instruction or reinforcement during activities
- City of Port Coquitlam One-to-One Support Worker (Summer Day Camps Only July & August): A Recreation Leader is to provide one to one support to children/youth. Our ability to provide a one to one support worker depends upon the support needed and available resources.
- Family Provided Support: Families are welcome to bring their support person to programs. If your child/ youth requires additional support to participate in registered programs, please call 604.927.7975 or email email@example.com. This will allow us to ensure we have a spot saved for the extra person. (i.e. bus transportation)
Leisure Buddy Application Form
Download the Leisure Buddy application form or complete it online below.
Access and Inclusion Services requires a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice prior to start of your registration program to find an appropriate Leisure Buddy. If a Leisure Buddy is not available, Access and Inclusion Services will be in contact to discuss further options. This may include withdrawal from the program.
Recreation Program Assistant – Access Services