The purpose of the Leisure Buddy program is to provide support for individuals living with disabilities so they can participate in recreation opportunities offered by the City of Port Coquitlam. This can include, but is not limited to those living with physical, cognitive, behavioral or developmental challenges. The goal of a Leisure Buddy is to provide one-on-one volunteer support to program participants in an effort to create an inclusive recreation environment.
If the idea of a Leisure Buddy interests you, please click the green bar below entitled “Leisure Buddy Online Information Form.” This will open the online submission. Hard copies of the form are available at the front desk of all recreation facilities.
Leisure Buddy Request Process:
· Access Services requires at least two weeks’ notice, prior to the start date of your registered programs, to find an appropriate Leisure Buddy.
· Participants are matched with a Leisure Buddy on a first come, first serve basis.
· Spring, Summer and Winter Break camp programs require high demand for leisure buddies. Participants are eligible for two weeks of Leisure Buddy support based on availability and resources.
· Access to a Leisure Buddy is not a guarantee. If a Leisure Buddy cannot be found, Access Services will be in contact to discuss further options which may include withdrawal from the program.
Important considerations for those applying for a Leisure Buddy:
· We acknowledge that each participant is unique and we are keen to learn the best approaches or techniques specific to your child so they can be successful in our programs.
· When describing your child’s needs please remember what may be routine for you and your family may not be routine for our program staff.
· Our program staff focuses on leading group activities and aims to provide balanced supervision for all participants. The Leisure Buddy assists the instructor and participants by supporting those with one-to-one needs.
· Your child’s Leisure Buddy does not provide any personal care including changing, toileting, feeding or administering medications.
· We want to set all program participants up for success. When selecting a program, please consider the nature of the activities your child will be participating in. If you are unsure if a program is the right fit, please contact a program supervisor to learn more.
Leisure Buddy Online Information Form
Parents registering children with needs in any of our programs are required to complete the Leisure Buddy information form, available at any customer service desk or fillable online below.
Please take the time to thoroughly complete this form. Providing us with as much information as possible assists us in delivering a positive experience for all participants and staff.
Please remember what may be routine for your family, may be out of the ordinary for our program leaders.
Support requirements are determined by staff. We do our best to find appropriate support. If support cannot be found, the participant may be required to register for a ore appropriate program or withdraw.
Staff requires a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice to find support. Families can apply for up to 2 weeks of summer support.
We are unable to provide personal care such as toileting and changing.
Download the form.
Leisure Buddy Evaluation Form
Complete the evaluation form here.
Canadian Tire Jumpstart
Canadian Tire Jumpstart is a national charitable program launched by the family of Canadian Tire. This program helps financially disadvantaged kids (ages 4-18) participate in organized sport and recreation by covering registration and equipment. Visit one of our recreation facilities to pick up a form.
Recreation Program Assistant – Access Services