Trees and Their Benefits
Why Are Trees Important?
Trees are an important part of Port Coquitlam’s infrastructure and bring many benefits to our residents.
Social and Community Benefits
- Provide a calming effect which can help reduce stress, fatigue and recovery time from surgery and illness.
- Provide privacy, accentuate views, reduce noise and glare, and enhance architecture.
- Help reduce the level of crime in urban environments.
- Bring natural elements and wildlife habitats into urban surroundings, all of which increase the quality of life for residents of the community.
- Alter the environment we live in by moderating climate, improving air quality, reducing stormwater runoff, and
- harbouring wildlife.
- Moderate temperatures by creating a cooling effect which can counteract the heating effect of pavement and buildings in an urban environment.
- Compact tree foliage can serve as a windbreak, as well as provide protection from rainfall.
- Leaves filter the air we breathe by removing dust and other particulates and releasing oxygen.
- Property values of landscaped homes are 5 to 20 percent higher than those of non-landscaped homes based on the species, size, condition and location of the trees included in the landscape.
- Trees also provide shade which can lower cooling costs for your home and reduce heating costs in the winter by acting as a windbreak.
Public Works Department