Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between the ‘Youth Programs’ and ‘U21’ categories? Do you have to be a youth to be considered in the youth programs category?
How many awards are presented in each category?
Do nominees have to live in Port Coquitlam?
Can couples or groups be nominated for an award?
Who can submit a nomination?
How do I nominate someone?
Can I nominate a volunteer in more than one category?
Can a volunteer be nominated more than once?
Are past nominees eligible for this year's Volunteer Recognition Awards?
When is the nomination deadline?
Do you accept nominations after the deadline?
What is the selection criteria for the awards?
Port Coquitlam’s Volunteer Recognition Awards recognize individuals:
- whose unpaid, voluntary contributions provide extraordinary help or care to families or groups in the City of Port Coquitlam.
- whose continued participation in community activities, on a voluntary basis, enhances our community.
- who voluntarily commit their time, talent and energy to improve the quality of life in the City of Port Coquitlam.
- who have been involved, on a volunteer basis, in a program or project that has had a lasting benefit to the City of Port Coquitlam and its residents.
The Selection Committee Reviews the nominations received using the following criteria to evaluate the nominee’s volunteer activities:
- Unpaid – Has or will the individual receive any financial or personal gain from their volunteer contributions? This includes remuneration, prizes, business contacts, clients, advertising, promotion of oneself or political gain.
- Continued – What is the level of commitment? Has the involvement been continuous? Did it begin recently? Is it ongoing?
- Extraordinary – Can the volunteer work or contributions be described as outstandind or remarkable? Is the level of involvement beyond that of most residents?
How is the Awards Selection Committee chosen?
The Awards Selection Committee includes the recipients of the previous year’s Volunteer Recognition Awards, Mayor Greg Moore and a City staff member whom also participates on the Committee as a non-voting member. The Lifetime Volunteer Award recipient is selected by City Council.
How are award nominees recognized?
All eligible nominees for the Volunteer Recognition Awards are, along with a guest, invited to attend an Awards and Tribute Gala held in April during Volunteer Appreciation Week. All nominees receive a Certificate of Appreciation and a civic lapel pin commemorating Port Coquitlam’s volunteers. The seven Volunteer Recognition Award recipients will also receive a personalized etched glass award.
Award recipients will also have their names added to Honour Rolls hung in the foyer at City Hall.
Are award recipients and/or their sponsors notified beforehand if their nomination has been selected for an award?
Volunteer Recognition Award recipients are announced at a special Awards Tribute held each year during Volunteer Appreciation Week in April.All nominees and a guest are invited to attend the event.
The names of the award recipients are not shared with anyone prior to that event. It ruins the surprise!
Following the Tribute, a press release is sent to the local newspapers and the names of the selected award recipients are usually published in the newspapers as well as appearing on the City’s website.
How do I submit an online submission?
A link for an online nomination form is posted on our main page when nominations are open.