2018 Port Coquitlam Council Committees Announced
Port Coquitlam Mayor Greg Moore announced the 2018 appointments to city committees, boards and groups at the year’s final Council meeting on Dec. 12.
- the former Finance and Intergovernmental Committee has been split into the Finance and Budget Committee and the Community and Intergovernmental Committee;
- a newly Environmental and Sustainability Committee;
- and all of Council will now sit on the Smart Growth Committee.
Council’s seven committees, most of which include citizen advisors, review new proposals and initiatives before they go to Council for a decision. The city also appoints representatives each year to a variety of local and regional boards and committees.
The 2018 committees are:
- Community and Intergovernmental (new) – Chair: Mayor Greg Moore; Vice-Chair: Cllr. Forrest. Members: All of Council. Responsibilities: community engagement, First Nations/ intergovernmental relations.
- Community Safety – Chair: Cllr. Mike Forrest; Vice-Chair: Cllr. Darrell Penner and Member: Cllr. Dean Washington. Citizen advisors: A. Carroll, B. Leavold. Responsibilities: animal control, bear awareness, bylaw enforcement, crime prevention, emergency preparedness, fire services, RCMP operations and vector control.
- Environment and Sustainability Committee – Chair: Cllr. Laura Dupont; Vice-Chair – Cllr. Glenn Pollock and Member: Cllr. Brad West. Citizen advisors: S. Balram, N. Powers, B. Fenton (BIA Representative). Responsibilities: environment, housing, regional and community planning policy, land use policy and street naming.
- Finance and Budget (new) – Chair: Cllr. Dean Washington; Vice-Chair: Cllr. Laura Dupont. All Council Members. Responsibilities: finance, budget and audit.
- Healthy Community – Chair: Cllr. Glenn Pollock; Vice-Chair: Cllr. Brad West and Member: Cllr. Laura Dupont. Citizen advisors: Y. Cheng, M. Bowen (PoCo Sports Alliance), B. Greenland (Arts and Culture Representative), B. Hansen (Heritage Representative). Responsibilities: cultural festivals and events, recreation facility maintenance and improvements, leisure activities, trails and regional library system.
- Smart Growth – Chair: Cllr. Brad West; Vice-Chair: Cllr. Mike Forrest. Members: All of Council. Responsibilities: development applications, development regulations (zoning, development permit, subdivision, parking, building, business, regional growth strategy), liquor licence applications.
- Transportation Solutions & Public Works – Chair: Cllr. Darrell Penner; Vice-Chair: Cllr. Dean Washington and Member: Cllr. Mike Forrest. Citizen advisors: D. Becker, N. McCurrach, C. Polonio (BIA representative). Responsibilities: flood control, local improvement program, road improvement, traffic safety, transportation, transit, solid waste and parks.
Other 2018 appointments included:
- Advisory Committee to Finance and Budget Committee: Continuous Improvement Assessment Committee: Chair: Cllr. West, Members: Mayor Moore and Cllr. Washington.
- Arts Connect – Cllr. Pollock
- Fraser Health Municipal Government Advisory Council – Cllr. Pollock, alternate Cllr. Dupont
- School District #43 Municipal Liaison – Cllr. Forrest, alternate Cllr. West
- Port Coquitlam Community Foundation – Cllr. Pollock
- Board of Variance – Representatives: H. Au, L. Baillie, D. Stanbrook, P. Vogel, R. Youssef.
- Metro Vancouver – Mayor Moore, alternate Cllr. Penner.
- Fraser Valley Regional Library – Cllr. Dupont, alternate Cllr. West.
- May Day Task Force – Chair: B. Lee
- Canada Day Task Force – Chair: D. Giordano
- Rivers and Trails Festival Task Force – S. Le Monnier
For more information and meeting schedules for committees and task forces, visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/committee.
Manager of Corporate Office
City of Port Coquitlam