Take Part In Healthy Heart-A-Thon To Raise Funds For Heart & Stroke
Port Coquitlam residents are encouraged to focus on their heart through participation in drop-in recreation programs during the City’s Healthy Heart-A-Thon.
Held Feb. 17 at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre and the PoCo Recreation Complex, the event aims to raise up to $20,000 to support the life-saving work of the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
People of all ages can participate by signing up for one of the City’s drop-in fitness, swimming or skating programs and choose to make a $2 donation that will support the Heart and Strokes Foundation. Participants will also be able to write their name on a Heart and Stroke Foundation Heart that will be posted in the facility for the month.
Participants are also encouraged to capture themselves being active during the month of February by posting their photo on social media using the hashtag #healthyheartpoco. All those who use this hash tag will be entered into a draw to win a free family admission pass for swimming. The #healthyheartpoco campaign runs until February 28.
The public is invited to take part in the following activities at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre (7970 Laurier Ave, Port Coquitlam):
- 4th Annual Strokes for Heart Swim-A-Thon: Sign up for a one hour swim between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. Individuals and teams of four can sign up for $25 per person, while school teams can participate for $2 per person. Advance registration is required and timeslots will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. To register, contact 604.927.7955 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb.16.
- Squash and Racquetball Court Bookings – with a minimum donation of $10 per hour timeslot, participants can reserve a Squash or Racquetball court. Limit of 4 people for each $10 donation.
- Afterschool Active – Participants in the afterschool active program from 3:30-5 pm will engage in Hoops for Heart and Jump Rope for Heart activities and learn about heart health.
- 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament – Youth can take part in a three on three basketball tournament from 7-10 pm. Entry fees will support the Heart and Strokes Foundation.
- Underwater Hockey Tournament – Check out the Underwater Hockey Tournament from 8-10 pm as teams compete against each other. Entry fees will support the Foundation.
- Gift basket and raffle draws – Tickets can be purchased on Feb. 17 for a minimum $1 donation for draws throughout the day.
The City is also hosting a variety of fitness based drop-in programs on February 17 in an effort to get residents to focus on their heart health. Visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/healthyheart for a schedule of activities.
Individuals and businesses that want to support the cause but cannot participate are invited to make a cash donation or donate items for the gift basket raffle. Donations can be dropped off at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre. Tax receipts are available for donations of $15 or more.
Over the last three years, the event raised $13,600 and over 600 people participated, including local schools, clubs and families.
The Heathy Heart-A-Thon takes place during Heart Month, the Heart and Stroke Foundation’s largest and most well-known fundraising campaign. A volunteer-based Canadian charity, the foundation’s mission is to prevent disease, save lives and promote recovery.
Thanks to the work of the foundation and others, the death rate from heart disease and stroke has declined by more than 75 per cent in the past 60 years. However, heart and stroke continue to take one life every seven minutes, and 90 per cent of Canadians have at least one risk factor.
For information about the Heart and Stroke Foundation, visit www.heartandstroke.ca.
Recreation Programmer – Aquatics
Recreation Department, City of Port Coquitlam
Tel 604.927.7955 Email email@example.com