CITY Preschool is a City-run licensed preschool program for ages three to five that complements the City’s early learning programs. The preschool operates out of the City’s beautiful new Port Coquitlam Community Centre in downtown Port Coquitlam.
Registration for the 2022/2023 is February 15, 2023 for Port Coquitlam residents and February 18, 2023 for the general public.
The City Preschool is licensed by Fraser Health to operate a preschool for children aged three to five years.
The program aligns with the City’s other early learning and child development programs.
Utilizing the amenities at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre, the licensed preschool will provide a warm and nurturing environment energized by children’s natural curiosity.
Programs are designed to take a children’s first approach to learning, utilizing an emergent curriculum that helps children develop socially, emotionally, physically and cognitively. We promote Life -long learning – the ABC’s to life are autonomy, belonging and confidence.
Our experienced preschool leaders will provide a personalized learning experience that is guided by the BC Early Learning Framework. The framework provides continuity of learning from preschool to kindergarten so that children are prepared to enter the primary program.
Register now at portcoquitlam.ca/register.
Hours & Fees
City preschool is pleased to offer a variety of times to meet the needs of families. City preschool will operate from September to June 2021/2022.
City Preschool AM (M,W,F)
- Barcode 64316
- Sept 12- June 23
- Monthly Fee $315.00
City Preschool AM (Tu, Th)
- Barcode 64317
- Sept 13- June 22
- Monthly Fee $220.00
City Preschool PM(Tu, Th)
- Barcode 64402
- Sept 13- June 22
- Monthly Fee $190.00
To begin the registration process, please complete the following:
- Set up a profile at portcoquitlam.ca/register – ensure to include your email address
- Register for the City Preschool
- February 15, 2023 for Port Coquitlam residents
- February 18, 2023 for general public
- Complete the participation information package
Once you are registered in the City Preschool program:
- An email will be sent to you in August with children information forms required to be completed prior to the program start date.
We understand that childcare can be expensive, there is Financial Funding Available to families.
Assistance through the City
- Eligible individuals and families may apply for support from the City’s Financial Assistance program for recreation programming.
Families can also access assistance through the government
- For financial assistance through the Affordable Child Care Benefit Program for licensed preschools check out: gov.bc.ca/childcarebenefit
Once the program begins you then apply for the government subsidies.
The City of Port Coquitlam’s play-based preschool programs are designed to take a children’s first approach to learning – utilizing open ended activities, explorations and free play to grow and inspire children’s unique interests.
Download our Family Handbook.
Preparing for Preschool
Preschool is a big transition for children (and parents too!) as they learn classroom routines, make friendships, and gain independence.
To set children up for success we offer transition programs at the City of Port Coquitlam and highly recommend your child participate in one before entering preschool. Recreational programs are offered seasonally in the Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.
To set your little on up for success, our recommendation is to participate in the following programs:
- Play Mania (0-6yrs)
- Parent participation drop in play in our gymnasiums to be active, meet friends and explore our recreation centers.
- Hand in Hand (1-4yrs)
- Parent participation program where an instructor teachers children songs and crafts. Infant brothers and sisters welcome.
- Ready, Set, Go (2.5-3.5 yrs)
- An hour program where children are gentle introduced to routines with free time and circle time
- Parents must remain in the building.
- Playschool Prep (2.5-5 yrs)
- An hour and half program where children prepare for the routines of school.
- This structured program will include free play, circle time, learning time, music, crafts and snack time! Send a snack with your child.
- Playschool Inside & Outside ( 3-5 yrs )
- A 2 hour program where children prepare for the routines of school by walking and exploring nature. 1 Day is outside exploring trails and 1 day is inside learning routines.
- This shorter structured program is a great transition to our longer licensed City Preschool Program! Located at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre.