Looking for safe ways to have fun, stay active and healthy over the summer? Take advantage of these activities the City has planned.
Early learning and preschool:
- Tons of Fun Preschool Camp (ages 3 to 5) – preschoolers will enjoy games, crafts and creative silly play. Come for a laugh and a whole ton of fun. Camp runs 10 am-12 pm, Monday, Wednesday, Friday at the Hyde Creek Recreation Centre.
- Early Learning Programs (ages 2.5 to 5) – One Day Wonders is an fun outdoor themed activity program for preschoolers (see themes when registering). Register for four sessions on Mondays or for one day only on Fridays. Program runs from 1:00 pm. to 2:30 pm at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre. Sports lovers can register for Soccer (1:00 pm. to 1:45 pm) or Multi-Sport (2:00 pm to 2:45 pm) class on Wednesdays at the Hyde Creek Recreation Centre.
Children ages 4 – 11:
- Little Sprockets 1st Gear (ages 4 to 8) – an indoor bike program where children learn to safely transition from training wheels to independent riding and about bike/street safety. Run 9:45 am to 11 am at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre.
- Little Sprockets 2nd Gear (ages 4 to 10) – teaches bike/street safety, how to steer, brake, maneuver over and around obstacles, outdoor terrains, paths and trails and enjoy and physical activities. Held at 9:15 am to 11:15 am at Gates Park.
- Trekkers Camp (ages 5 to 7) – teaches outdoor exploration. Children will explore trails, make friends and play games. Camp runs 9 am to 3:30 pm at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre. Come for the fun, Stay for the friends. Note: 5-year olds must have completed or be enrolled in kindergarten to participate.
- Outdoor Arts Camp (ages 6 to 10) – for children who love making art and creative play. Runs 8:30 am to 3 pm at the Outlet in Leigh Square.
- One-day Explorers Camp (ages 7 to 9) – a one-day adventure camp for children to explore a variety of parks and places while having fun and being active. Runs Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 am to 3 pm at a different location each day.
- Explorers Camp (ages 8 to 10) – enjoy making friends in this variety camp while exploring trails and swimming each day. Camp runs Monday to Friday, 9 am to 3:30 pm at the Hyde Creek Recreation Centre.
- Trail Blazers Camps (ages 6 to 8 and 8 to 11) – learn bike, street and trail safety while exploring Port Coquitlam’s trails. Camps for ages 6 to 8 year olds run 12:15 pm to 4:15 pm Camps for 8 to 11 year olds run Mon. to Fri., 9 am to 4:30 pm and include swimming. Both camps run at Gates Park and Centennial Pool.
- Skate, Bike, Swim Camp (ages 8 to 11) – strengthen existing skate skills and try ice sport activities at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre Arena, then ride to Gates Park and swim at Centennial Pool. Camp runs week of August 23, 9 am to 4:30 pm.
- Half Day Skate Camp (ages 6 to 10) – gain confidence and strengthen skating skills, try ice sports and enjoy creative activities at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre. Skates and helmet rentals included in program fee. Run the weeks of August 16 and 23, 9 am to 12 pm
- Half Day Learn to Play Hockey Camp (ages 6 to 8) – strengthen existing skating skills and learn the fundamentals of hockey throught strategic skills and drills at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre. Skates, helmet and stick rentals included in program fee. Runs the week of Aug 16 from 9 am to 12 pm.
- Sports Programs (ages 7 to 9 and 10 to 12) – choose between soccer, pickleball, basketball and badminton. Programs run at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre from 9 am to 11am (7 to 9 year olds) and 11:30 am to 1:30 pm (10 to 12 year olds). Register for four sessions in July or August.
Youth ages 11-18:
- Base Camp (ages 11 to14) – youth can engage in fun, outdoor activities with their peers. Campers work together on team building and personal leadership activities. Camp runs outdoors at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre, 9:15 am – 3:30 pm and includes swimming.
- Youth Volunteer Leadership Training (ages 15 to 18) – a week long program to help youth expand their leadership skills. Includes volunteer opportunities in children’s summer programs. Training program run outdoors from 9:15 am to 3:30 pm, July 5 to 9 or August 3 to 6 at the Hyde Creek Recreation Centre from with volunteer opportunities in the weeks following.
- Youth Programs (ages 11 to 14 and 15 to 18) – youth can be active and socialize with friends. Options include forest games, registered drop ins and gym times. Runs 4 pm to 5:30 pm, Thursdays and Fridays, and 3 pm to 7:30 pm on Saturdays at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre. Register in advance.
Swimming Lessons – a variety of swim lessons will be available for different swim levels, including preschool and Swim Kids. Swim lessons will take place at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre, Robert Hope and Centennial Pools. See portcoquitlam.ca/swimming for details.
Live in PoCo? Sign up Early
Port Coquitlam residents will get a three-day head start on programs.
Registration for summer 2021
PoCo residents: starts May 4 General public: starts May7
Proof of residency will be required.
How Priority Registration Works
- Port Coquitlam residents can begin registering on May 4 – at 12:01 a.m. for those registering online, and during regular facility hours for those registering by phone (604.927.7529)
- Customers will need to provide their home address and postal code to verify they are residents of Port Coquitlam. Online registrations will be verified by Active Net account and by postal code and address combination.
- Please note: Anyone falsely claiming to be a Port Coquitlam resident during the priority registration period will be removed from the class – even if the classes have begun.
Advance registration and payment is required for all programs at portcoquitlam.ca/register. We offer a variety of supports and resources to ensure that all residents have the opportunity to get involved in recreation programs. More information about fees and financial assistance is available at portcoquitlam.ca/recfees.
Financial Assistance and Support:
The City offers a variety of supports and resources to ensure that all residents have the opportunity to get involved in recreation programs. Eligible families can receive a 75% discount on activities, including camps, through our Financial Assistance Program. Families can also apply for an Individual Child Grant through Canadian Tire’s Jumpstart Program. Our Leisure Buddy Program offers 1:1 support for children in registered activities. Learn more at: portcoquitlam.ca/financialassistance.
General Guidelines for Registered Program Access (full details available at portcoquitlam.ca/recreation – Know Before You Go)
- All participants require an account for program registration and can be completed at portcoquitlam.ca/register.
- All participants (all ages) must pre-register for all activities.
- Participants may withdraw from a registered activity up to 48 hours notice prior to activity start time and a camp up to 7 days prior to camp start day.
Protecting Public Health
Strict adherence to public health directives is in effect at all facilities. Measures include:
- Registered access only and limited participant numbers for lessons, programs and activities to ensure safe distancing.
- Hand sanitizing stations.
- Signs, physical barriers, floor markings and one-way traffic to ensure physical distancing and to direct traffic flow.
- One-way entrance and exit to and from facilities.
- Masks are to be worn by everyone 12 years and up, at all times as mandated by the Public Health Officer. Children ages 3 to 11 are encouraged to wear masks.
- Enhanced cleaning, particularly of common touchpoints such as door handles and countertops.
The city’s reopening plans will be scaled back or changed as necessary to ensure public health and comply with orders from the Provincial Health Officer.
Participant Information Forms (Waivers)
The City of Port Coquitlam requires all participants in their day or week-long camps to have a signed Participant Information Form on file. This form can be downloaded here.
Please contact the Recreation Department (604.927.7529 or email@example.com) to obtain this form through mail or by email.