Public Works Open House
Family Fun and Insider’s Look at Public Works
Curious about how water gets from the reservoir to your tap? Want to see some big trucks up close? Wonder what you can put into each waste cart?
You can get an insider’s look at Port Coquitlam’s Public Works services – from water to waste, roads to parks – at a free Community Open House on May 27, 10 am to 2 pm at the Public Works Yard at 1737 Broadway St.
Open to all Port Coquitlam residents, the festival-style event will be educational and fun, with:
- Hands-on displays for each Public Works service area: Interact with city staff, play the waste-sorting game, find out the journey of drinking water, learn about the snow removal program, get tips from the city’s gardeners, and more.
- Heavy machinery on display or in action, including a garbage truck, backhoe, snowplough and street cleaner.
- Free children’s activities including Gizmo the Clown, crafts, active games, facepainting and tractor-pulled hay rides.
- A hot dog barbecue by donation to SHARE Family and Community Services.
- Displays by Recycle BC and Metro Vancouver, which will also bring its Water Wagon for refilling water bottles.
- Live entertainment, giveaways and more.
This event is being held during Public Works Week May 21 to 27, the open house is supported by CUPE Local 498 and is intended to raise awareness about the public works services that residents use every day.
In Port Coquitlam, the Public Works division provides waste collection services and maintains and improves city infrastructure, such as streets and sidewalks; parks, trails and public spaces; the sewer, water and drainage system; and the city fleet.