Dogs in Port Coquitlam
Dogs are important members of many Port Coquitlam families, and the residents of our community are welcome to enjoy the City’s many parks, trails and public spaces with their dogs. However, being a dog owner in the City of Port Coquitlam also comes with certain responsibilities, to ensure the safety and well being of the community as well as your pet.
For example, the City’s Animal Control Bylaw stipulates that owners must keep dogs leashed on all public property unless in a designated off-leash area, must clean up their dog’s waste from public property, must licence dogs over six months of age and must make sure their dogs are not a threat to people or other dogs.
All dogs that have reached the age of six months must be licensed.
Dog Off-Leash Areas
Animal Shelter and Adoption Services
Services for Dogs in Port Coquitlam
Port Coquitlam provides many services for the four-legged members of your family. Many of these services are paid for by the annual dog licences required for all dogs over six months of age.
- Dog Off-Leash Areas
- Free biodegradable dog waste bags in most parks.
- Enforcement of the Animal Control Bylaw (to ensure dogs are good neighbours, are not a threat to people or dogs, don’t damage or leave their waste on public property, etc.).
- Animal shelter services and adoptions of homeless animals.
- Reuniting lost pets with owners via their licence tags.
- Easy online dog licence renewal.
- Assistance to the public in dealing with barking dogs, aggressive dogs, dogs at large and dog bites.
Dog Tags and Decals
New applicants: A dog tag will be issued upon receipt of payment
Renewals: Annual tags are not issued – your existing tag will remain valid for multiple years. You may request a replacement if your tag is lost or damaged.
Bylaw Services Office
Location and Mailing Address
1st Floor, City Hall, 2580 Shaughnessy Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2A8
8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)