Vector Control/Wildlife

The City provides information and assistance in preventing and managing problems with common household pests, insects and urban wildlife.

Services also include pest controlling rats, ticks, mosquitos and other insects on public lands, and active management of pests that affect health on private and public land.

The City’s Vector Control Bylaw prohibits property owner/occupiers from allowing their property to create a rodent or insect problem.


Port Coquitlam’s Solid Waste Bylaw requires residents and businesses to secure garbage, green waste and other items that attract bears and other wildlife (e.g. coyotes, cougars and raccoons). The bylaw applies to all properties, regardless of whether they receive City waste collection.

Learn more about Bear Safety and the City’s Solid Waste Bylaw.

Mice and Rats

Both mice and rats breed often and can cause health issues. They should be dealt with as soon as possible.

Signs of rodent activity

  • Droppings
  • Gnaw marks or sounds
  • Tracks (including footprints or trail marks)
  • Urine
  • Runs or burrows
  • Smudge marks


Contact a pest control company or the City’s Vector Control staff at 604.927.5322 for information on rodent control. In some cases, staff may conduct site visits.

Control options include:

  • Snap traps
  • Glue boards
  • Exclusion


  • Screen or plug all openings greater than 1 cm that could provide entry (e.g. drains, vents, cracks and holes in the foundation or basement).
  • Ensure garage doors are flush to the ground.
  • Replace broken dryer vents.
  • Store garbage in metal containers with tight lids.
  • Use rodent-proof bird feeders and sweep up all fallen bird seed.
  • Clean the BBQ well after every use.
  • Eliminate hiding places outside: remove weeds and debris, cut back vegetation (e.g. vines), and store materials such as lumber and boxes on a rack with a clean, open area underneath.
  • Store opened food in metal or glass containers with tight lids.
  • Store pet food in a secure container.
  • Sweep up any food scraps or litter from floors both inside and outside.
  • Install screens on all windows and inspect for holes.
  • Keep exterior doors closed; use metal trim to prevent rodents from gnawing and entering underneath.



Coyotes are well adapted to urban environments and can live almost anywhere. They can be aggressive towards humans and hunt household pets. Coyotes eat a variety of food, including rats, mice, insects, fruit and household garbage.


  • Do NOT feed coyotes. Most coyote attacks on children are by coyotes that were previously fed by people.
  • Secure garbage and removing all possible sources of food from outside your home.
  • If you see a coyote displaying aggressive behaviour towards a human, report it to the 24-hour BC Conservation Officer Service at 1.877.952.RAPP.

If you encounter a cougar, you should stay calm and back away slowly.

In late winter/early spring cougar sightings increase as their preferred prey, deer, spend more time in urban areas. Here are some tips to stay safe and avoid negative encounters with cougars.

  • Keep dogs on a leash and under control at all times
  • Keep house cats indoors at all times
  • Remove bird feeders or shrubs that may attract the preferred prey of cougars (deer, raccoons, etc.) to your yard
  • Be alert and make noise when walking in forested settings
  • If you do encounter a cougar, never run. Instead, turn and face the animal, use jackets/back packs to look as big as possible, and back away slowly.
  • If the cougar appears to be stalking or following you, yell and throw objects such as rocks/sticks.

Report any encounters or sightings in an urban area to the RAPP (Report all poachers and polluters) line at 1-877-952-7277

For more information about how to respond to a cougar sighting, follow the BC Human – Wildlife Conflict guidelines.


Raccoons are known to raid unsecured garbage bins, create dens in attics, and damage lawns while searching for grubs and earthworms. Their droppings may also be a health hazard.


Raccoons are protected by the Provincial Wildlife Act. It is recommended that you first contact the provincial Fish & Wildlife Branch at 604.586.4400 if dealing with a problem raccoon.


  • Remove all possible sources of food from outside your home.
  • Use metal or tough plastic garbage bins with tight-fitting lids.
  • Prevent access to the roof by trimming tree branches to at least two metres from the roof.
  • Cap the chimney to keep raccoons from entering.
  • Keep raccoons from making a den on your property by attacking their senses (sight, smell and sound).
  • Cover sandboxes to prevent raccoons from using them as a latrine.

Skunks may spray pets and humans, disturb unsecured garbage bins, damage lawns while searching for grubs and earthworms, and burrow beneath structures to make dens.


Please contact a professional private pest control company for skunk removal.


  • Remove all possible sources of food from outside your home.
  • Use metal or tough plastic garbage bins with tight-fitting lids.
  • Keep skunks from making dens under structures by sealing off openings with wire mesh, sheet metal or concrete.

The City does not conduct active mosquito management on private property. Residents are encouraged to prevent infestations by using common prevention techniques.


  • DRAIN your property of standing water, such as clogged gutters, saucers under plant pots, tarps, used tires. Change water in bird baths and wading pools frequently.
  • DUSK/DAWN – take extra care; this is when mosquitoes are most active.
  • DRESS appropriately by wearing baggy, long-sleeved shirts and pants, shoes and socks when outdoors, especially at dawn and dusk. Wear light-coloured clothing, since dark colours attract mosquitoes.
  • DEFEND against mosquito bites by using mosquito repellants wisely.
Wasps, Bees and Ants

The City does not conduct active management of wasps, bees and ants on private property. Residents are advised to contact a pest control company.

Beekeeping is permitted as an agricultural use in the City’s A and RS3 zones. Beekeeping is also permitted as an accessory use in four residential zones: RS1, RS2, RS4, and RD.  Beekeeping in permitted residential areas must comply with the following regulations:

  • The property must be at least 14 metres wide
  • A maximum of 2 beehives and 2 nucleus colonies may be kept on one property
  • Beehives and nucleus colonies must be kept in the rear yard, which must be enclosed by a minimum 2 metres high solid fence or landscape screen
  • Beehives and nucleus colonies must be setback a minimum of 2 metres from the rear lot line and cannot be located in a side yard
  • The property must be registered with the Provincial Apiary Registry
  • An adequate water source must be provided on the property for the bees
  • Bee colonies must be maintained in a condition to prevent swarming, and
  • Measures must be taken to keep beehives inaccessible to wildlife

Mason bee nest boxes are permitted on any property throughout the city, and are not subject to the same siting regulations as honey beehives.


Tel (voicemail) 604.927.5322

Location and Mailing Address

City Hall
2580 Shaughnessy Street, 
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2A8

Business Hours:

Vector Control staff are in the office from 8:30-10:30 am, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays). If you call while staff are in the field, leave a message for a response upon their return.