Where Does it Go?
Sort it Right! Search Tool
Confused about which cart a Ziploc bag goes into or where to put styrofoam? Try out the Sort it Right tool that will make it easier for you to put your waste in the right place. Enter an item below to see how to recycle or safely dispose of it.
Why Sort it Right
Port Coquitlam residents currently divert about 66% of their waste from the landfill. If we sort our waste properly, about 75% of what is typically thrown away can go into the green and blue carts, to a recycling depot or to a take-back program.
- Avoid fines of up to $300 for continually putting the wrong things in your carts
- Prevent hikes in City disposal fees and fines that are eventually passed on to taxpayers
- Keep waste out of the landfill, where it releases gases and toxins
Got a Great Waste Tip?
Share Your Waste Tips to Win an iPad Mini!
How to play:
- Share your tips between Oct. 16 and Nov. 20 on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram,
- Tag the city @CityofPoCo (Instagram/Twitter) @portcoquitlam (Facebook)
- Write a tip about reducing or sorting waste that is relevant to Port Coquitlam,
- Include a photo, graphic, meme or video (maximum 30 seconds) that relates to the written tip, and
- Include both hashtags #sortitright and #portcoquitlam.
All eligible entries will be entered for the top prize of an iPad Mini sponsored by Save-On-Foods Port Coquitlam, along with additional prizes of food waste bags sponsored by Bag to Earth, and Sort it Right! swag from the city.
Winners will be contacted through their social media accounts; no entry form is required. Only one tip per person will be counted, and only Port Coquitlam residents are eligible to win the prizes.
PoCo Waste-Line app
Use this free app to access your collection schedule, Sort it Right! Search Tool, get emergency notifications and more.
Download the Sort it Right! 2017 Guide to Waste Sorting & Services flipguide for a complete guide to sorting waste in Port Coquitlam.
Drop by City Hall, recreation centres or Public Works to pick up a waste-sorting poster or Sort it Right flipguide.
Tel: 604.927.5496 Emergency After Hours Tel: 604.543.6700 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location and Mailing Address
Public Works 1737 Broadway Street Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2M9 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)