Free Community Courses
Port Coquitlam offers free emergency preparedness (EP) courses to help residents prepare to survive on their own for at least 72 hours after a major disaster, such as a power outage, severe storm, flood or earthquake.
Personal preparedness is a key component of the City’s EP program. The more residents can take care of themselves after a major emergency, the more the City’s resources can be directed to restoring services
Learn four valuable EP skills in one day
There are four topics discussed within a 4-hour single Saturday session. These sessions are provided four times a year. Please see below for further details.
Participants must be at least 16 years old. Topics included are:
- Personal Preparedness – Learn how to help yourself, your family, your co-workers and your neighbours in those first 72 hours and beyond.
- Rapid Damage Assessment – Identify unsafe conditions in a single-family dwelling to help determine if your home is safe to occupy after an earthquake. Information is provided as general building/safety information; it does not certify you to be qualified to perform post-earthquake damage assessment.
- Basic Fire Suppression – Learn basic fire chemistry and classes of fire, how to use a fire extinguisher, and basic steps for fire response and intervention in the event of water, gas and electrical problems. Includes hands-on extinguisher training.
- Light Urban Search and Rescue – If someone is trapped in a home during a disaster, do you know how to identify if and how you can help? Learn what to do. Includes a hands-on component.
- Saturday Sep. 12 – Cancelled
- Saturday Nov. 21 – Pending registration until further public health information is available
All courses run 9 am – 1 pm at No. 1 Fire Hall, 1725 Broadway Street, and will include refreshments. Early registration is recommended as seating is limited. Priority will be given to Port Coquitlam residents.
Location and Mailing Address
#1 Fire Hall
1725 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC
Business Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)