Free Community Courses
Port Coquitlam offers free emergency preparedness (EP) courses to help residents prepare to survive on their own for at least 72 hours after a major disaster, such as a power outage, severe storm, flood or earthquake.
Personal preparedness is a key component of the City’s EP program. The more residents can take care of themselves after a major emergency, the more the City’s resources can be directed to restoring services
Learn four valuable EP skills in one day
There are four topics discussed within a 4-hour single Saturday session. These sessions are provided four times a year. Please see below for further details.
Participants must be at least 16 years old. Topics included are:
- Personal Preparedness – Learn how to help yourself, your family, your co-workers and your neighbours in those first 72 hours and beyond.
- Rapid Damage Assessment – Identify unsafe conditions in a single-family dwelling to help determine if your home is safe to occupy after an earthquake. Information is provided as general building/safety information; it does not certify you to be qualified to perform post-earthquake damage assessment.
- Basic Fire Suppression – Learn basic fire chemistry and classes of fire, how to use a fire extinguisher, and basic steps for fire response and intervention in the event of water, gas and electrical problems. Includes hands-on extinguisher training.
- Light Urban Search and Rescue – If someone is trapped in a home during a disaster, do you know how to identify if and how you can help? Learn what to do. Includes a hands-on component.
- Saturday Sept. 15 – Open for registration
- Saturday Nov. 24 – Open for registration
- Saturday March 2 – Open for registration
- Saturday May 25 – Open for registration
- Saturday Sept. 14 – Open for registration
- Saturday Nov. 23 – Open for registration
All courses run 9 am – 1 pm at No. 1 Fire Hall, 1725 Broadway Street, and will include refreshments. Early registration is recommended as seating is limited. Priority will be given to Port Coquitlam residents.
Port Coquitlam Emergency Preparedness Office
Location and Mailing Address
#1 Fire Hall
1725 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC
Business Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)