Large Item Pick-up Program
As part of our pilot project, the City has now taken over operating the Large Item Pick-up Program. Each qualifying household is allotted two free curbside pick-ups per calendar year (3 items maximum per pick up) – including mattresses, furniture, appliances, tires, exercise equipment and more. This program is available to household owners that receive City waste services and pay a solid waste levy on their property tax bills. We appreciate your patience as we transition in taking over this exciting project. Thank you!
Bookings are accepted through the form below. Please read the information below before booking – items that are not accepted or do not meet the criteria will not be picked up.
Requested by residents for many years, large-item pickup will help reduce illegal dumping and ensure discarded items are disposed of properly. It’s the latest improvement to the City’s waste services, following last year’s launch of year-round weekly green cart pickup and extra holiday recycling.
Who can use the program
In order to qualify for large item pick up, one must be the homeowner and pays a solid waste levy on their property tax. For eg. If you rent, please contact the landlord and have them contact us via email at email@example.com or by phone at 604.927.5324 to confirm permission to use the large item pick up program for their residence. The request must come from the homeowner.
How to Schedule Your Pick-up
Qualifying households can schedule pick-ups by submitting the form below – up to six large items are accepted per calendar year. Bookings can be made up to twice per calendar year, for up to three items maximum per pick-up.
- Ensure you qualify to have your large item picked up based on the criteria above (must be a residential owner and paying a solid waste levy on your property tax bills).
- Submit the form for large item pick up online below.
- Wait for email confirmation from a large item pick-up clerk (within 48 hours). Please check your spam folder.
- Please do not place your items in front of your residence until your pick-up date has been confirmed with our large item pick-up clerk. Anything left out prior to the confirmed date would be considered illegal dumping and can lead to a fine.
- Once our large item pick-up clerk has received your request, they will be in touch with you to schedule your pick-up.
- Once given a pick-up date:
- Prepare items based on the criteria (eg. Mattresses need to be plastic wrapped) and place your large item for pick-up at 7 am on the scheduled day you are given. A large item pick-up clerk will confirm your pick-up date at least one day prior
Please only submit a request if you are prepared to have your items picked up within the following few days. Pick-ups will typically be scheduled 2-5 business days after submission. Please also note that we can only schedule up to 2 weeks in advance.
Please review the criteria below. Items that are not accepted or do not meet the criteria will not be picked up.
- Mattresses and box springs – must be dry, wrapped in clear plastic and securely sealed with tape (no tarps please, mattress bags, packing plastic, etc.)
- Indoor non-upholstered furniture – e.g. coffee tables, chairs, desks, dressers, TV stands, cabinets, drawers, tables, hutches, cribs, high chairs, entertainment centres (electric fireplace inserts are not accepted)
- Upholstered furniture – e.g. couch, arm chair, recliners etc. Must be dry. If raining, cover with plastic or a tarp, which will be left behind for re-use.
- Outdoor furniture – e.g. chairs, patio tables, patio umbrellas
- Appliances – e.g. stoves, dishwashers, washers and/or dryers, hot water tanks, refrigerators, freezers, microwaves, wine fridge/cooler
- Furnaces, hood fans, vents
- Barbecues – remove lava rock, briquettes, propane tanks or coals
- Electric lawnmowers, gas mowers (with no gas/liquid in them – they will not be accepted for pick-up if liquid is in them)
- Small household goods – in boxes or bundled, and a reasonable size (one box or bundle is equal to one of the resident’s allotted items)
- Tires – bicycle, passenger and light duty truck only
- Weight training equipment – e.g. treadmills, elliptical, stationary bikes, stair masters, weight sets
- Baby/toddler car seats & strollers
- Air-conditioning units
Items Not Accepted
- Wet or unsealed mattresses and boxsprings
- Wet upholstered furniture
- Regular household waste or yard/green waste
- Commercial waste
- Construction and demolition waste, including lumber
- Home renovation materials – e.g. sinks, bathtubs, hot tubs, flooring, doors, windows, fireplaces, toilets
- Tree stumps or other wood waste
- Car bodies or parts
- Carpets and rugs
- Water dispensers
- Glass and mirrors
- Musical instruments
- Electronics (computer, stereo, television)
- Propane tanks
- Basketball hoops
- Outdoor fire pits
- Stair/deck railing
- Medical equipment (eg. Wheelchairs, hospital beds, lifts etc.)
- Hazardous waste, medical waste, toxins or chemicals of any kind, including:
- Paints and solvents
- Waste with PCB or containing dioxin
- Pest control product containers, or waste containing pest control products, including waste from producing treated wood products
- Leachable toxic waste
- Waste containing tetrachloroethylene
- Waste listed in Schedule 7 to Hazardous Waste Regulation B.C. Reg. 63/88
- Waste containing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon
Use the PoCo Sort & Report app or search online for other disposal options.
Other Important Criteria
- All items must be placed at the curbside for pick-up by 7 am on the scheduled day.
- All items must be able to be safely carried by two people.
- Mattresses and boxsprings must be dry, wrapped in plastic and securely sealed.
- Upholstered furnishings must be dry and not infested with bed bugs or other vermin.
- Small household goods must in boxes or bundled, and a reasonable size (one box or bundle is equal to one of the resident’s allotted items).
- Briquettes, lava rock and propane tanks must be removed from barbecues.
- No banned items will be accepted.
Book Your Pick-Up
Please read information above before booking, then click the “Book Now” button to submit your request. If you have Internet access, please book your submission online.
This service is only for single-family households or multi-family units receiving City waste services and paying a solid waste levy on their property tax bills.
Bookings will be confirmed within a day.
Provide Feedback During the Pilot
The City will monitor the pilot throughout its first year. Participants are invited to submit feedback through the form below. After the pilot is completed in spring 2022, the City will review the feedback and consider whether to continue, change or expand the program.
Location and Mailing Address
1737 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2M9
7:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)