Animal Control

Residents of Port Coquitlam with questions or concerns related to animal control, including unlicensed dogs, barking dogs, dogs at large, or dog bites may contact the Bylaw Services Office at 604.927.5440 or by email at

As of June 28, 2008, the BC SPCA no longer enforces the City’s Animal Control Bylaw, but retains its Provincial mandate to deal with animal cruelty and animal welfare issues.  The emergency contact number for the BC SPCA is 604.879.7343.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have my dog on a leash?
  • Every owner of a dog shall prevent the dog from being or running at large.
  • Every owner of a dog shall keep the dog from trespassing upon private property, whether it is running at large or held on a leash secured to its owner.
What is considered an 'aggressive dog'?

An “aggressive dog” is defined in the Animal Control Bylaw as:

  • a dog with a known propensity, tendency or disposition to attack without provocation, cause injury or otherwise threaten the safety of humans or domestic animals;
  • a dog which has, without provocation, bitten, inflicted injury, assaulted, pursued or otherwise attacked a human or domestic animal;
  • a dog which is owned primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting, or has been or is being trained for dog fighting.

No person shall keep or own any diseased or aggressive dog within the City unless the dog is kept sufficiently secured so as to prevent it from endangering the safety of any person or other animal.

No owner of an aggressive dog shall permit or allow the dog to be on any highway or in any public place or any other place that is not owned or controlled by that person, unless the dog is secured on a leash to its owner and muzzled to prevent it from biting another animal or a human.

Does my dog or cat require a licence?

All dogs six (6) months of age or older are required to have a licence. Licences can be obtained from Port Coquitlam City Hall 2580 Shaughnessy Street, Port Coquitlam. Get more information.

Every dog licence expires on December 31st of the year of issue.

There is currently no requirement in Port Coquitlam for cats to be licensed.

What is the Poop and Scoop Law?

Where a Dog leaves or deposits any excrement on any public place or private property other than the property of the Owner, the Owner shall immediately take steps to remove such excrement and dispose of it in a sanitary manner.

Dog and cat excrement may be flushed down the toilet. Click for other pet waste disposal options.

How many dogs or cats can I have?

It is not lawful to possess more than three dogs unless a kennel licence has been issued. Kennel licences are issued only to properties with agricultural zoning.

There is no specific limit in the Animal Control Bylaw on the number of cats one can own, but if cat ownership is excessive to the point of creating a health hazard, there may be intervention by the BC SPCA or the Fraser Health Authority.

What is the Barking Law?

Daytime barking

No person shall keep any animal which, by its calls, cries, barks, or other noises, disturbs or tends to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort, or convenience of the neighbourhood or people in the vicinity.

Nighttime barking

Council believes that the following noises or sounds are objectionable: any calls, cries, barks, or other noises made by an animal and that are audible outside the parcel or premises where the animal is kept, between 11 pm to 7 am.

How can I submit a noise complaint about barking dogs?

Residents who are disturbed by barking dogs can request an investigation by submitting a detailed noise complaint form to the Bylaw Services Office. To register an excessive barking complaint you must first record the location where the dog lives, and the dates, times and duration of the barking in a barking dog log either online or download the form (pdf).

Once you have completed a barking dog log, you must then complete a noise complaint form. Download a printable version of the complaint form or complete the online version.


The City’s Animal Control Bylaw establishes fines for the following violations as noted:

  • Dog At Large – $150
  • Failure to Remove Excrement – $150
  •  Aggressive Dog in Public Place – $150
  • Unlicensed Dog – $150
  • No Licence Tag – $75
  • Unpermitted Kennel – $150
  • Unpermitted Domestic Animal – $150


Bylaw Services Office
Tel 604.927.5440

Location and Mailing Address

1st Floor, City Hall
2580 Shaughnessy Street
Port Coquitlam BC  V3C 2A8

Business Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)